At Magic we base action on ecological analysis. We consider ecology to be a sound basis for a more adaptive culture, in which human law and natural law are more closely aligned. By ecological praxis combining analysis with action, each of us gains ability to more clearly see selves and world. As we shed illusion, we achieve more accurate common understanding, become increasingly aware of shared goals, and are better able to secure mutual satisfaction.
With this purpose we shape Magic’s educational services and projects. In each of these, we aim to show how people may practice ecology to shed light on questions of value, and to promote awareness of our connections with other humans, other life, abiotic nature, and artifact to realize a broader and more integrated sense of self. Using methods of science, we consider the adaptive merits of a philosophy of loving.
Classes and Workshops
- Valuescience — Apply ecological methods and principles to discern common interests of humankind, and how to further them.
- Creating Loving Community — Learn how to structure and operate households and workplaces to foster cooperation and consensual decision-making.
- Planning for Living — Become more as you intend by learning to plan your life and live your plan.
- Movement Magic — Learn to practice yoga, bicycle, swim and/or run with awareness and ease.
Residential Service Learning Community
- Food for Thought — Join us for lunch or supper and lively conversation about life in an intentional community founded upon ecological praxis and dedicated to service and learning.
- Test the Water — Taste life in the Magic intentional community with an immersive one night to several night experience.
- Live the Dream — Become a Magic resident.
- Planting for the Second Hundred Years — Steward California oaks and other native species on Stanford University open space lands.
- Silicon Valley Barcode of Life — Engage people in learning why biodiversity is important, and in acting to protect it.
- Reduce Waste. Feed People. — Collect and process tens of tons of produce and prepared food for distribution to thousands of deserving people.
- Liveable City — Research and advocate for ecologically-informed public policy and individual action to improve quality of life in cities and towns.